Why we want to lead by example
Living sustainably is important to folk at Swoop - at home and at work. We’ve been quietly trying to make the ‘right’ choices for some time, and now we want to share more of what we’re doing - and why. While many of us already make sustainable choices in our personal lives, we’re keen to formalise and publicise these practices at work.
For example, when we gave everyone at Swoop a reusable cup, it helped normalise a new behaviour across the team. When we graded local food and drink suppliers according to their sustainability performance, it helped our employees make more informed choices for their meeting locations (and lunches!). Similarly, we want to find ways to encourage and empower more Swoop staff to do even more - like eating less meat, recycling more, buying less stuff and flying less.
In the grand scheme of things, these are small actions. But we also believe that positive personal actions - at work, at home and everywhere in between - create a ripple effect of change among those around us, from friends and family, to Swoop partners and visitors.
Why we care
The evidence is overwhelming: the world is at a tipping point. For travel companies (like Swoop), the climate crisis raises hard questions. We believe Swoop can help lead the way to solutions within our industry. That starts with us here in the office, leading by example in everything we do.
We’re a certified B-Corporation. ‘B-corps’ are a new type of business that balance profit and purpose, meeting incredibly high standards of environmental, social and economic impact.
Vision: Swoop’s travel and daily business practices set the standard for sustainability in the travel industry and positively influence all those who come into contact with us.
Target: Ranked in the top 10 B Corps travel companies globally.
Now & next
What we've done so far
- We encourage staff to cycle or walk to work, or use public transport. Our offices are centrally located and there are cycle kits and bike storage available.
- We monitor our waste - which will help us set a baseline and show improvement.
- We have two wormeries, which we feed with as much of our organic food waste as possible. This reduces the amount of waste we create, and creates a useful byproduct (vermicompost) which we use to grow our plants.
- We have a policy to ensure our Bristol team buys from local companies and organic/fair-trade suppliers.
What we're doing
- We’re measuring the current impact of our waste, energy and water use so we can tackle the biggest impact areas first.
- We’re identifying the sustainability priorities for our new Bristol office - which we’ll be moving into in Spring/Summer 2020.
- We’re making sure Swoop travel is always by the greenest means possible. We’ll look closely at how often we fly, and find alternatives where possible. We’ll offset anything with a carbon impact - including trains and cars.
- We’re creating further company policies to ensure our purchasing practices support businesses with the greatest possible sustainability impact - local, ethical, responsible.
- We will continue working towards becoming a certified B-Corporation in 2020/21
- Our office move in mid-2020 will aim to drastically improve the environmental impact of our Bristol operations. We would like it to enable the following:
- Waste: zero to landfill
- Water: As efficient as possible
- Energy: 100% renewable, and as efficient as possible
Introducing Our Sustainability Strategy
These pages tell the story of our commitment to sustainability and our promise to you, our customers, to protect this planet and its most precious places.
The things we choose to buy, use and do have an impact on the environment. We’re starting by helping our customers reduce their impact.
Reducing Our Carbon Impact
As we all know, the more carbon dioxide we put in our atmosphere, the more our climate will change. We’re committed to reducing the impact of our carbon emissions.