As a committed tour operator, we know we need to be part of the solution and we recognise that our industry is part of the problem. Global tourism accounts for 8% of global greenhouse gas emissions. Travel can be carbon-intensive and detrimental to the destinations we are so eager to protect. We also believe that travel creates advocacy and a deeper awareness of the challenges we and our planet face.
Along with many other travel companies, we’ve signed up to Tourism Declares A Climate Emergency. This initiative links tourism businesses, organisations and individuals in declaring a climate emergency and taking purposeful action to reduce their carbon emissions.
Along with all signatories, we have committed to these specific actions:
- We’ll develop a Climate Emergency Plan within the next 12 months, setting out our intentions to reduce carbon emissions over the next decade to science-based targets.
- We’ll commit to publicly sharing this plan and will update on our progress each year.
- We publicly accept the current IPCC advice that we need to cut global carbon emissions to 55% below 2017 levels by 2030 to keep the planet within 1.5 degrees of warming. Our ‘Climate Emergency Plan’ will show actions designed to achieve this as a minimum, through delivering transparent and measurable reductions in the total carbon emissions per customer arising from our operations and the travel services sold by us.
- Our business has three circles of influence; our customers, partners and industry. We’ll encourage our partners to make the same declaration and we’ll actively participate in the Tourism Declares community.
- We’ll advocate for change. We recognise the need for system change across the industry, and call for urgent regulatory action to accelerate the transition towards zero-carbon air travel.
Discover more about sustainability at Swoop
Introducing Our Sustainability Strategy
These pages tell the story of our commitment to sustainability and our promise to you, our customers, to protect this planet and its most precious places.
Reducing Our Carbon Impact
As we all know, the more carbon dioxide we put in our atmosphere, the more our climate will change. We’re committed to reducing the impact of our carbon emissions.
The things we choose to buy, use and do have an impact on the environment. We’re starting by helping our customers reduce their impact.